Instructions: Step-Smart Foot Brace / Ankle Brace
3. Secure Calf Strap
2. Secure “I” Strap
Donning your brace:
Recommended brace wearing schedule:
- Day 1: one hour in the morning, one hour in the afternoon.
- Day 2: two hours in the morning, two hours in the afternoon.
- Day 3: three hours in the morning, three hours in the afternoon.
- Day 4: four hours in the morning, four hours in the afternoon.
- Day 5: five hours in the morning, five hours in the afternoon.
- Day 6: six hours in the morning, six hours in the afternoon.
- Day 7 and beyond: all day
During this first week especially, it is important for you to examine your feet visually after each wearing period. Red marks are normal (like the kind you get from your socks), but they should go away in 30 minutes. If not, contact your health care provider.
Step Smart Sizing:
I Strap Replacement:
Orthotic for your Other Foot:
Long Tensor Instructions 1:
Long Tensor Instructions 2:
Other brace notes:
- For ease of donning the brace, put the brace in the shoe first, then use the loop in back to help pull the brace and shoe on together.
- Always use a sock under the brace that is high enough so that it is higher than the top of the brace.
- Always use a shoe with the brace.
- The brace is mostly water resistant and you should not hesitate to wash it or use it in the water. The two rivets on the calf section may rust slightly, but will not fail easily.
- Peal and place the included loop Velcro® (that looks like a solid horseshoe shape) into the shoe at the heel. See www.afo-blog.com for a video demonstration.
- Seat the brace back in the counter of the shoe.
We hope you enjoy your new Step-Smart™; the most streamlined custom solution for drop foot.